A gathering of ideas, rants, reflections leading up to the big day

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Psych!

You all thought that was my last post till next week. I just went to fax something, yelled out to our receptionist "Whats the date?!" And she yelled back (cause that's how we roll) "May 21st". No shit. 5 years.

It has been 5 years since my first date with Fi. 5 years ago, another Wednesday, Fi showed up to my door wearing khakis and a blue stripped polo shirt. I wore a beige skirt from Ann Taylor with blue and brown stitchery. I wore a brown backless shirt and brown sandals. I looked hot, I was skinny then. He looked hot, he was a bit skinner then too.

We jumped in his car and he said "just so you know I'm deaf in my right ear so its hard to talk in the car". I was relieved, no need to come up with more conversation. We went to dinner at Cafe Poca Cosa and it was my first time there. We had a lovely dinner, good conversation and great food. After dinner he suggested we go to Plush for a drink and to see the band playing. I was happy, I didn't want the night to end. I sneaked a smoke in the bathroom and we watched a blue grass band play as we sat close together at the bar. After a drink we walked around 4th for a bit, then he took me home. He walked me to the door. We kissed. We said good night and I was smitten.

5 years later, he still walks me to the door and I'm still smitten but due to new non-smoking laws in AZ, I sneak a cigarette outside instead of in the bathroom.

I am kind of sad that this is the last real acknowledgement of this date. After 10/11, we'll go back to zero, then one year married. Five years, that has some umphf you know. I'm sure we'll always be happy for an excuse to go back to Cafe Poco Cosa!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw - that is so cute ;)
you can still celebrate a date-a-versary.

Jennifer said...

05/21 and 10/11 are close to about six months apart -- it's the perfect excuse for like, a half-anniversary (like half birthdays)!

Unknown said...

I know you're not here to read this, but I wanted to say this is a lovely post. You should show this to D someday (unless he reads your blog now on the side...), he will like it.
I never thought about a relationship count going back to zero after the wedding. Thinking about that now, I honestly can't say how long I went out with Leigh before the wedding!
Hope you are having a great time at the wedding....hope you are taking pix of that pretty dress you're wearing!

Jenna said...

Ummm we have the same wedding date? As in October 11th of this year? Who knew. (I sure didn't)