A gathering of ideas, rants, reflections leading up to the big day

Friday, August 22, 2008

A traditional element



I am of Scottish heritage. I have great pride in being a Scot. I have part of my families crest tattooed on my hip (don't tell my mom!). I wear my tartan proudly. I don't recognize the Queen. All important elements of being Scotch-American.

I've mentioned before how my bouquet will be wrapped in my families tartan. My uncle who will be performing the ceremony will hopefully wear his kilt as I've requested.

But the creme de la creme of being Scottish: bagpipes. I can't recall a family wedding that didn't include them. I love the sound of pipes, I feel more Scottish when listening to a piper. And tomorrow, I officially book my piper, not an easy task in Tucson, AZ!

It is details like this that fully sink in the magnitude of getting married. It is a tradition in my family that I have been aware of since my first family wedding at age 5. So all those fake weddings I planned in my head as a teenager- all included me walking with my husband to the sound of a piper. I've always known I would have a piper and to hire a man to play bagpipes at my wedding- whew. This is big.

1 comment:

Ellen Mint said...

Isn't it scary all the little things that keep reminding you "Yes you are getting married!"

For me it was seeing our invitations on my parents fridge just like everyone elses. Just mind blowing.