A gathering of ideas, rants, reflections leading up to the big day

Friday, October 31, 2008

A few of my favorite things, part 1

At the rehearsal dinner, my family gave a few toasts. The most memorable for me, was the toast given by my dad.



He and I share a bond, a strong love for each other. He exposed me to music, writing, poetry, love of the arts, food and most of all sports. We share a passion for Shakespeare, so when he paraphrased from King Lear I wasn't too surprised.



I wrote a mini-thesis in college about King Lear, and my father and I discussed it daily. I compared myself to Cordelia (the youngest, favorite child- without the incestial overtones) and he, my King Lear.



My father, in his toast, paraphrased Act V, scene 3 when Lear tries to talk Cordelia out of marrying:



so we'll live, And pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh At gilded butterflies, and hear poor rogues Talk of court news; and we'll talk with them too,-- Who loses and who wins; who's in, who's out;-- And take upon's the mystery of things, As if we were God's spies





My dad said to me that he can not ask this of me, because he sees how happy I am with my man. For a moment, I thought of dumping Fi and running off with my dad.



On a funny note, Megan Fox of Transformers fame, stayed in the room my parents had, just the night before...and she has the gilded butterfly quote tatooed on her back. How about that?! My dad is still telling people that he shred a bed with Megan Fox (hangs head).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is a sweet father toast!