A gathering of ideas, rants, reflections leading up to the big day

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Whew..it IS political

The times they are a changing. Weddingbee has been sold to eHarmony.

That blows. You can read about why I disagree with the sale on this post that was written by bees more eloquent than me. I will no longer have a link to Weddingbee on my blog roll, but with permission I will be linking to the bloggers I support.

I struggle with this as a reader and a friend. I consider myself to be friends with a few of the 'bees. I email regularly with a few, I was linked to a few before they made it big with Weddingbee, one even designed my invitations. One, I stalk her husband at my grocery store (just kidding Ellie, only cause I think he stopped shopping near me!). I also feel caught in the middle as I know a few of my favorite bees fall on opposite sides of the aisle.

My time as a bride is coming to an end. I often hear about newlyweds who can't drop wedding blogs off their readers and continue to follow along. I wonder what my free time will be like after the wedding. I wonder what new interests will remain? Will I continue making paper flowers and to be interested in stationary? I do know that I will no longer be interested in Weddingbee. And that makes me a bit sad.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Weddingbee was the first blog I dropped. It's really geared towards people planning their wedding. I slowly dropped a few of the more wedding focused blogs. But I could drop the blogs by brides. Those are my favorites.
Life changes a little but after the wedding. You'll have so much more free time!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

weddingbee always stressed me out even when i was engaged! i just followed along the bees personal blogs.

i still read all of the bride blogs even though wedding planning is over and i will continue to read yours when your wedding is over.

Ellen Mint said...

I never really got into the wedding bee. I dunno I think I rather liked the chance to find and decide whose bridal blogs I liked as opposed to having someone else do it for me.

Anonymous said...

I was outraged when I read the sale news on Weddingbee, even before finding out who the buyer was. I thought, 'oh great' its going to become like The Knot and then read further and gave out a WTF? I'm so shocked that she even sold it to them in the 1st place! I'm not near married but I have officially dropped them and am glad to hear that Ginerbread dropped out.

Tara Vorhes said...

I dropped Weddingbee even before my wedding... it was overload for me. And I pretty quickly dropped all the wedding blogs other than the bride blogs... I still love to hear the stories from the brides I got to know during planning.

And for me, my interest did shift quite a bit... now it is nesting and entertaining and whatnot...

Ellie said...

After the wedding, there's this brief period of time where you fall into a vacuum of WTF do I do NOW?...and then you realize how grateful you are to have your life back.

LOL on seeing Mike - we usually go to Safeway, unless it's an emergency. That Basha's just KILLS mah sensitif self with its crazy sodium light...