A gathering of ideas, rants, reflections leading up to the big day

Saturday, September 13, 2008

A ring for him

I bought Fi 's wedding ring today! And can I get an "Amen!" This maybe the hardest decision yet. Fi, bless his big heart, went through a million different ideas:

copper, rose gold, hammered, flat, matte, yellow gold, no ring, one fish, two fish.



So after months of playing online, I drug him last Sunday to my mecca of all meccas: Tiffanys. Although he knew and I knew there would be no Tiffany ring in his future, the sales people are gems (if you wear your Elsa Perretti collection in, like I do) and there is no pressure. We needed to get him sized and we wanted to figure out the width he liked.



Well wouldn't you know? He fell in love with a ring there. (Say it with me: Sonofabitch) The ring, was 3x the amount I had anticipated spending. Well, luckily for me, my guy is practical. And he didn't want platinum. I have palladium in my ring and he thought it would be cool if he had palladium too. Easy, with palladium a member of the platinum family, but for a 1/3 of the price, I was down.



So now I had to find THE RING somewhere in palladium. I looked high and low and found his ring on e-weddingbands.com. I just ordered it today! I'll let you know how it turns out, but a few hints: Check with the BBB to see if the online retailer has been in any hotspots. Make sure they have a size exchange policy. Although he was sized, you never know, so this sites policy (like many I saw) was 30 day exchange (minus shipping).



I also had it engraved. For $7.50 there was engraving and even if I get the wrong size, they can resurface it for exchange. Did you ever play that game in elementary school where you mouthed the words " elephant shoe" or "olive juice" because it looks like you are saying "i love you"? Well, fi and I ALWAYS say elephant shoe to each other. And one of his many nicknames for me is Jenny Rabbit. No one calls me Jenny, but I love it when he does, so the engraving reads: "Elephant shoe, Jenny Rabbit". I think he'll get a kick out of that.



So without further ado:




Not only is it Palladium like mine, but it also has the milgrain around it- like my set. I think we will complement each other nicely even though we don't match!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, Jenn, that's awesome!!

Ellen Mint said...

He he, congrats on getting him to pick something.

I love what you're gonna have engraved. I wish we had something cute. We're really stuck right now.