A gathering of ideas, rants, reflections leading up to the big day

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Pole story

This is not a story about a stripper pole class ala GoLightly, nor about That Bride's husband to be (couldn't help myself!) but rather a cautionary tale my Fi came home with last night.

We were laying in bed watching the Office (season 2) and Fi pauses the disc the, shuts the computer, turns to me and says- we need to talk.

SH*T.

Then he starts rambling about Cesar in his office who was back from vacation yesterday. Fi asked Cesar about his vacation and Cesar said it was nice. Cesar asks about the wedding and Fi says its coming together and its in less than 3 weeks. yadda yadda.

And I have no idea what this means to me. Because this is how I explain my day to Fi, through recounts of conversations or blogs. Fi, well he usually says "it was fine, I had to work on Project X and I had a hot dog for lunch". We communicate differently, and that is cool- but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the need for such detail- now!

Then Cesar tells Fi that about 3 weeks before his own wedding, his Fi, Angela was so stressed out that while she was driving she hit a pole. Fi expressed concern for my own stress levels (which made me more stressed and made me cry- AGAIN) and asked that I do my best not to hit a pole.

To which I responded by asking if Cesar had mentioned that Angela was only stressed out because Cesar kept forgetting to complete his to do list?

Fi didn't like that so much.

But this morning as I drove to work, I thought about being in the moment and not working on table seating as I usually do while driving.

So from Cesar to fi to me and now to you...may we all avoid poles while driving.

4 comments:

Ellen Mint said...

I remember when there was a story about a woman who died on her wedding day.

It got really hard for me to hear those stories while in the middle of planning the wedding and swept up in it all.

Somehow now I've gone the other way and they don't bother me as much anymore.

Unknown said...

Seating chart finished or not, no hitting poles. I'm with D - leave some corner of this madness called life for just "being in the moment" with those you love! (Did you notice your Madmen won an emmy?I need to start watching television again....)

Jenna said...

This popped up on my google alerts and I was like "why is she talking about my man?" Then I read the post and laughed and laughed. Oh please don't let that happen to me.

Anonymous said...

Here's to being in the moment and not hitting any poles!